There is no better time than now to get your body ON! It’s May in 1 day, and most of us are planning to peel away the layers as the weather gets warmer…SO, that means, revealing more skin. However, most of us have been cooped up indoors and perhaps have a bit of “winter padding” we’d like to get rid of. As a classically trained, professional dancer and certified personal trainer, I have a number of methods that I use to stay fit that I’d like to share with you!
1) Incorporate weight lifting and/or resistance exercises into your workout routine 3- 4x a week. Having more muscle mass= burning more fat. Burning more fat= well…less fat! SO DO IT!
2) Do bootcamp- style workouts that include a mix cardio and strength. You will save time and get better results.
3) Super-set your weight lifting exercises (advanced training method), which means doing two exercises in a row, without resting in between sets.
4) Vary your workouts. By doing this you stay interested while constantly challenging your body.
5) Create long, lean lines by incorporating yoga and stretching into your regular workout routine.
6) Working out on an empty stomach is KEY! This means at least 2 hours after a meal.
7) Eat smaller, more frequent meals. This keeps your blood sugar at a steady rate, metabolism and energy up, burning optimal fat.
8) NO TRANS FATS or HYDROGENATED FATS! Incorporate good fats found in olive oil, flax seeds (or oil), walnuts, salmon and cod fish.
9) Read food labels (you’ll be surprised at what you find!)
10) Water, water, water. 8 (12 oz) glasses daily or more depending on your body weight and if you consume caffeine (you may need more).